When we think about fire safety, it’s important to know all the types of fire extinguishers. We should make sure that your home or business is prepared with the right type of fire extinguisher. It’s a great precaution to avoid fire accidents until the fire services teams arrive. There are several different classes of fire and different types of fire extinguishers.
Classes of fire
There are six classes of fire: Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class K.
- Class A Fires: Freely burning, combustible solid materials, such as wood, plastics, paper, textiles, coal, fabric, etc.
- Class B Fires: Flammable liquids, such as gasoline, petroleum oil, paint, or diesel.
- Class C Fires: Flammable gases like hydrogen, butane or methane, propane.
- Class D Fires: Metallic fire caused by chemicals such as magnesium, lithium, sodium, potassium, titanium, or aluminum.
- Class K Fires: Cooking fires like animal or vegetable oils or fats.
Different Types of Fire Extinguishers Include:
Water and Foam Fire Extinguishers
The Water and Foam extinguisher is the most common fire extinguisher type for class A and Class B fires. Water extinguishers are equipped with a spray nozzle so that greater surface area can be covered more quickly and the fire put out more rapidly.
Dry Powder Extinguishers
Dry powder extinguishers are not recommended for use in enclosed spaces. This is because dry powder separates the fuel from oxygen or removes the heating element of a fire. Powder extinguishers can be used on some electrical fires. Specialist dry powder extinguishers are used for flammable metals, such as titanium and magnesium.
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Extinguishers
CO2 extinguishers are used for electrical fire risks. This extinguisher helps to take away the oxygen from fire and removes the heat with a cold discharge. The Carbon Dioxide fire extinguisher should be used on Class B and C fires.
Wet Chemical Extinguishers
The Wet Chemical Extinguisher extinguishes a fire by removing heat and preventing barriers between oxygen and fuel. This extinguisher contains a solution composed of potassium that effectively launches the two-pronged assault on fires. The wet chemical extinguisher is ideal for class K fires.
If you have any questions about fire extinguisher service Los Angeles CA, contact Edison Fire by calling 1-323 – 259-9999!!